The University Hospital Careggi is a public funded hospital and important hub within the Tuscany Health System, accredited to the Regional Health System and Ministry of Health every three years with a specific strategic and business plan.
The Endocrinology Department comprises different sections with different expertise.
Patients affected by rare disorders of bone and mineral metabolism or rare endocrine tumours, adrenal diseases, disorders of sex development and maturation are referred to the Metabolic Disease Unit, to the Endocrinology Unit and the Sexual Medicine and Andrology Units, respectively, where dedicated outpatients clinics are operating. Patients are managed following international guidelines. Genetic testing is available when genetic origin of a rare endocrine disease is suspected. An informed consent is required to register clinical data, perform genetic testing if necessary, collecting biologic samples for study purposes.
Patients are offered and facilitated to join existing patient associations (e.g. the association of patients with hereditary paragangliomatosis and adrenal tumours, As.P.P.E.T., the Italian association for patients with hypoparathyroidism, A.P.P.I., the Italian association of patients with MEN, A.I.M.E.N., a member and founder of European Multiple Endocrine Neoplasia Alliance, E.M.E.N.A.).
University Hospital Florence is participating in the following Main Thematic Groups (MTGs):
Viale Pieraccini, 6
- Csilla Krausz (Main representative, Adult)
- Alessandro Peri (Substitute representative, Adult)
Representatives per Main Thematic Group (MTG)
- MTG1 AdrenalCsilla Krausz (Adult), Mario Maggi (Adult) and Letizia Canu (Adult)
- MTG2 Disorders of Calcium & Phosphate HomeostasisMaria Luisa Brandi (Adult), Laura Masi (Adult) and Gemma Marcucci (Adult)
- MTG4 Genetic Endocrine Tumour SyndromesLetizia Canu (Adult), Maria Luisa Brandi (Adult) and Federica Cioppi (Adult)
- MTG6 Hypothalamic and Pituitary ConditionsAlessandro Peri (Adult) and Benedetta Fibbi (Adult)
- MTG7 Sex Development & MaturationCsilla Krausz (Adult) and Giulia Rastrelli (Adult)
Also the following people are participating for this Reference Centre:Csilla Krausz(4)