The Hospital of Lithuanian University of Health Sciences Kauno klinikos is the largest healthcare institution in Lithuania. The Hospital has two founders: the Ministry of Health and the Lithuanian University of Health Sciences (LSMU). Established in 1940, the Hospital has grown into one of the most prominent hospitals in the country. Hospital of Kauno klinikos is dedicated to providing the highest quality healthcare to patients from all over the country and abroad.
Kauno klinikos employs more than 1200 physicians and 2400 nurses, who provide care according to the standards of evidence-based clinical practice. The hospital has 38 departments devoted to all medical and surgical specialties, including cardiovascular surgery, neurosurgery and organ transplant surgery.
The Mission of Kauno klinikos is to improve the health and quality of life of population, develop ambitious and advanced health specialists, and create and implement innovations based on scientific research.
The Hospital’s specialists have brought many medical firsts and ‘onlys’ to Lithuania, including the first use of foldable intraocular lenses for cataract surgery, endobronchial ultrasound for lung cancer diagnosis, the first use of capsule endoscopy to diagnose inflammatory bowel disease, transcatheter aortic valve implantation, and many other minimally invasive diagnostic and treatment techniques.
In recent years, 22 centres for rare diseases have been established in Kauno klinikos to enable effective collaboration among different specialities treating rare conditions such as neuromuscular disorders, cystic fibrosis, pulmonary hypertension, neuroendocrine tumours, etc.
Hospital of Lithuanian University of Health Sciences Kauno Klinikos is participating in the following Main Thematic Groups (MTGs):
Eivenių g. 2
- Rasa Verkausiene (Main representative, Paediatric)
- Birute Zilaitene (Substitute representative, Adult)
Representatives per Main Thematic Group (MTG)
- MTG1 AdrenalLina Barsiene (Adult) and Giedre Mockeviciene (Paediatric)
- MTG2 Disorders of Calcium & Phosphate HomeostasisAurelija Krasauskiene (Adult) and Edita Jasinskiene (Paediatric)
- MTG3 Genetic Disorders of Glucose & Insulin HomeostasisEvalda Danyte (Adult) and Ingrida Stankute (Paediatric)
- MTG5 Growth & Genetic Obesity SyndromesRuta Kriksciuniene (Adult) and Ruta Navardauskaite (Paediatric)
- MTG6 PituitaryRuta Kriksciuniene (Adult) and Robertas Knispelis (Adult)
- MTG7 Sex Development & MaturationJonas Ceponis (Adult) and Romualdas Tomas Preiska (Paediatric)
- MTG8 ThyroidRaimonda Klimaite (Adult) and Egle Vaitkute (Paediatric)
Also the following people are participating for this Reference Centre:Rasa Verkausiene(1235678) and Birute Zilaitene(1235678)